The NWRN advocates that the social security system in Australia should be characterised by an uncompromising recognition of the following rights:
- the right of all people in need to an adequate level of income support which is protected by law;
- the right of people to be treated with respect and dignity by Centrelink and those administering the social security system;
- the right to accessible information about social security rights and entitlements, obligations and responsibilities;
- the right to receive prompt and appropriate service and social security payments without delay;
- the right to a free, independent, informal, efficient and fair appeal system;
- the right to an independent complaints system; and
- the right to independent advice and representation.